Employment Law Lawyer Mount Prospect, IL
If you’re facing discrimination at work, it is time to consult an employment law lawyer in Mount Prospect, IL promptly. No one should be treated unfairly in the workplace. A lawyer can help you pursue legal action against your employer and protect your rights.
Signs You’re Being Discriminated Against at Work
Unfortunately, even in this day and age, discrimination still occurs in the workplace. Sometimes it is obvious and other times it is not so obvious. Here are several signs of discrimination in the workplace:
- Illegal interview questions. Discrimination can begin during the interview process. Employers are prohibited from asking questions about age, religion, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation during interviews. However, that does not stop some employers from asking these types of questions. If you have been asked inappropriate questions during a job interview, you may want to talk to an employment lawyer as soon as possible.
- Unfair disciplinary action. If an employee has broken rules at work, disciplinary action may be called for. However, there are cases in which employees are unjustly disciplined. For example, if you have been subject to disciplinary action for being a couple minutes late to work while other tardy employees never get disciplined, you may be facing discrimination.
- Denied promotions. It can be disheartening to be passed up for a promotion at work. It can be even more difficult to accept if the denial is due to discrimination. For example, if you’re a woman and always get passed up for promotions while men with the same qualifications get promoted, discrimination may be taking place.
- Demeaning comments. As an employment law lawyer in Mount Prospect, IL can attest, demeaning comments are another form of workplace discrimination. These comments can make it uncomfortable to come into work each day. If your supervisor or coworkers make insults or offensive jokes about your age, religion, race or sexual orientation, you should consult a lawyer.
- Unequal pay. Discrimination lawsuits can also result from unequal pay. If you and a coworker of the opposite gender possess the same education and experience and perform the same duties, you should be paid roughly the same. If you are not, you may be facing gender discrimination.
If you have been discriminated against in the workplace, schedule a consultation with an employment law lawyer in Mount Prospect, IL as soon as possible.