HEALTH is a multi-faceted word that lends its meaning to finances, relationships, physical fitness and the list can truly go on. As we come out of a very long and arduous winter, many people may not have had the motivation to really get on track with the physical fitness aspect. Dreary cold and cloudy days did not lend inspiration to get out there and get moving. With that said, summer is upon us. What does that mean? Warmer days, less layers required and dare I say it, swim suits! As a certified personal trainer with the Natural Fitness Trainers Association, health and fitness are a passion of mine outside of the office and I want to share with you some easy and quick ways to charge out of the winter blues and get you ready for SUMMER FUN! (And you don’t even have to join a gym!) I get a lot of questions and/or excuses as to why working out and eating healthy cannot be incorporated into a daily routine, but rest assured, with my easy tips and hacks, it will be harder to fight them than to actually do them!
Problem #1: I don’t belong to/have time for a gym.
YOU DON’T NEED ONE! Circuit training is PERFECT for the home! You can utilize the items you have in your home to get in a quick and effective workout. If you are new to a training program, as usual consult your doctor, and then try to incorporate this into your schedule 2 to 3 times a week. Once you start to build up your endurance, make it 3 to 4 times a week and add another round or two of the circuit. I rarely get on the scale, I go more so by how my clothes fit, so don’t let a number fool you or intimidate you. The goal is the get healthy and feel better about yourself, not be defined by some arbitrary number that does not measure HEALTH!
Try this FULL BODY Circuit – Beginners do 3-4 rounds 2 to 3 times a week and work up to 5-6 rounds 3 to 4 times a week:
– 50 No Weight Body Squats
– 20 Mountain Climbers (10 each leg)
– 50 Jumping Jacks
– 15 Chair Dips
– 25 Sumo Squats (feet wide, toes turned out)
– 20 Crunches (if you do not want to lay on the floor, you can stand with your hands behind your head and bring your opposite knee to opposite elbow for 10 on each side)
– 50 High Knees
There is no rest between each exercise, but once an entire round is complete, you may rest for 2 minutes and then repeat!
Problem #2: Eating healthy is expensive or my kids won’t eat that!
WRONG! I use my local grocery store sale ad and shop what is on sale that week. It may take a little planning, but most of you are already doing that anyway. With summer here, fresh fruits and vegetables will be in abundance and if you are lucky enough to have a farmer’s market in your area – TAKE ADVANTAGE!! What better way to support local farmers and know that you are getting the freshest produce available. Here are a few food hacks that I absolutely love and I know you and your family will too!
- Love mashed potatoes? Try steaming cauliflower until soft. Mash with a fork or whip on low speed with a hand mixer with light butter or cheese and season with garlic powder and pepper. Your family will never know the difference!
- Love pasta? Try spinning zucchini in a spiral cutter ($14 from Wal-mart and it will change your life) or using spaghetti squash as your noodles! Add your favorite pasta sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and ENJOY!
- Love dessert? Try layering chocolate graham crackers with fat free cool whip and stick in the freezer for a delicious “ice cream” sandwich!
These are simple and easy tips that will get your creative healthy juices flowing so you can not only enjoy your summer, but feel GREAT doing it!
Bott & Associates, Ltd wants to make sure that you are taken care of mind, body and soul! We look forward to all the ways that we can help your family create a lasting legacy.